If we are being honest with ourselves, let us just say that most of us tend to judge a book by its cover. While many books have made it to the bestseller list despite their unattractive covers, there is no doubting the influential power of an appealing book cover design. Avid readers will have surely come to the realization that one should not judge a book by its cover, but it is a truth universally acknowledged that the cover design is perhaps the first thing that captures a reader’s attention, even before the title. A book’s cover is usually what makes the reader pick up the book to read the blurb. In this sense, the book cover speaks to the reader before the writing within the pages does.
Book covers designed by Strikethrough.
In an industry where competition is at its peak, an author must ensure an attractive, engaging exterior that is strategically designed to help rise above the competition. Thus, we can say that such an element is crucial to a book’s success.
The following are some tips that help in the creation of an engaging cover:
1. Decide on the message you want to send through your book cover. Remember, an image speaks a thousand words.
2. Think like a reader. You need to ensure that your book cover appeals to your target audience.
3. Evoke feelings. Stir feelings with your cover art to encourage readers to pick up your book.
4. Avoid cliché cover designs. You want your book to stand out, not blend in.
5. Get feedback. The design phase is a journey. Try to get feedback from family, friends and target audience.As a reader, what kind of book covers capture your attention when you browse at the bookshop or online? Do you have any tips for creating an attractive book cover design? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below!